Further to the closure of UCT Libraries in the month of January, as per the communication of 7 January, the Library Directorate has reviewed developments during the course of the month and will be reverting to a limited service effective 1 February 2021. This limited service takes into consideration:
- Continued national state of disaster and return to level 3 lockdown status;
- Rapid rate of infections and subsequent high number of positive cases within the WC;
- Impact of the above on UCTL staff and their families – including the number of staff that have tested positive for COVID 19; and
- Implications on the capacity to offer the limited onsite service.
While our Virtual Library Services (VLS) continues as the primary service model, the following limited services will be available from 1 February:
Scan and email service
- Patrons to inform librarians via email or Ask-a-Librarian of research resource needs 24 hours in advance so that print materials may be scanned (within copyright legislation) and distributed (via email) to the researcher within 48 hours.
- The scan and email service will be delivered by a small team working from all of the libraries except the Bolus Library. In the event there is a need for materials from the Bolus Library, staff have been rostered to deliver the service.
Managed loans service
Book request process
Our offsite book collection service will resume for both UCT students and staff. Request books via Primo and the book/s will be prepared for collection from a central point located at CPS Burnage on Wednesday and Fridays from 11h00 to 14h00. Learn more about our offsite book collection process.
Health Sciences Campus
In addition, provision has been made to accommodate the return of health sciences students to the Health Sciences Campus. This includes:
- Access to the Impilo Junction (student study space). This facility will be managed by CPS on the proviso that such a responsibility is accepted by CPS. The space will be opened from 08h00 to 22h00, Monday to Sunday.
- Book requests via Primo from the Bongani Mayosi Health Sciences Library will be collected at the Health Sciences campus.
- Book collection will be on a Wednesday and a Friday between 12h00 and 13h30.
An absolutely minimum number of staff will be on site on Wednesdays and Fridays to provide the scan and email service and, prepare and distribute books requested.
UCT Libraries will continue responding appropriately and responsibly to the prevailing conditions and circumstances to ensure the well-being of both our staff and users.